4/19/09

Tea for two...


This saturday was the premiere of the movie version of the iconic documentary "Grey Gardens," and being amply obsessed with the original (available free here) I figured it warranted a small celebration. And who better to watch it with then my very own dear (and non-Big Edie-esque) mother?

If you haven't seen either the doc or the recent movie, "Grey Gardens" is the story of two of Jackie O's relatives, Big and Little Edith Beale, who fell into poverty and squalor after Big Edie's separation from her husband and their subsequent retreat from high society into the increasingly decrepit Hampton's home of their glory days. It's not just interesting as a reversal of fortune story, however, because the two characters relationship- both loving and incredibly delusional and restrictive- is the main focus of the film, particularly the effect it has on the ambitious but delicate Little Edie.

If I wanted to make theme food, it would been along the lines of cat-food or ice cream, so instead we decided on the following:
-Stuffed mushrooms
-Tropical Sliders- with veggie burgers, pineapple, and mango ketchup
-rosemary french fries
-and for dessert, apple turnovers (from your grocer's freezer).


The Stuffed Mushrooms were de-stemmed and brushed with olive oil. Then I heated some shallots and leeks in a pan with oil until translucent, sprinkling liberally with salt and pepper. Finally I tossed in some breadcrumbs and cooked 2 minutes more, then dropped tablespoon-fulls into the mushrooms. They were cooked 15 minutes at 450 (I think...).


For the tropical sliders, I made the "mango ketchup" from the Candle Cafe cookbook. I used a cleaned out coconut milk can to cut the buns into little circles, and grilled pineapple and burgers for them. And they were so good, although the mango ketchup didn't totally knock me out. Next time I'll try making my own rolls I think...

Anyways, we ate everything too fast to get pix of the rest, but the HBO version definitely lived up to my expectations (while not surpassing the documentary, of course) and the food did as well. And I have this newfound obsession with scarves...

Song of the Day: Rufus Wainwright- Grey Gardens

10 comments:

Mihl said...

I never heard of the documentary and the movie before, but it sounds really interesting.
I would have eaten those stuffed mushrooms very fast, too!

allularpunk said...

cool! the documentary is in my netflix queue, i need to move it more towards the top :) your little sliders are so adorable/yummy looking. i want a veggie burger (or 3, if they're tiny) now!

Anonymous said...

You made such wonderful food for your celebration! I am glad to hear you enjoyed the film.

Virginia said...

that documentary sounds interesting! i never even heard of it, thanks!

Anonymous said...

I've heard such great things about this - I would love to see it, but it would be better accompanied by some of those veggie burgers and schrooms!

jessy said...

i really need to see them both! will do fo 'sho, T!

your themed eats sound so damn good, and they look rock'n, too! why have a i never made stuffed mushrooms or sliders before?!? rosemary french fries sound gloriously delicious (and i always love an easy-peasy 'n tasty turnover! mmmmmmm!)!

(might i just say that i think scarves are the best! i love to wear them and i love to knit them!)

Lisa said...

what a good idea to cut buns for sliders! I've been stumped about finding mini vegan buns.

Bianca said...

I've been wanting to watch that! It sounds like something I'd like...and so do those cute little tropical burgers.

Bex said...

I am fascinated by this movie and documentary (haven't watched either yet though), I hadn't heard of it before.
Your burgers look great. I haven't tried that ketchup from Candle Cafe but you've reminded me I need to.

LeAnne said...

So glad I came across this blog! Everything looks awesome! Especially stufed mushrooms. MmMmMmMm...!!!