10/19/09

Soy una perdedor


I've never considered myself an especially unlucky person, but there is one area of my life in which I consistently demonstrate terrible juju: losing valuables. I've lost a passport, 3 ipods, my birth certificate, class rings, cameras and countless headphones and pieces of jewelry. And this week I lost MY WALLET. In a FOREIGN COUNTRY. It was probably stolen, but I don't think that ruins the unbroken chain of bad luck that follows me around when I need to not misplace something. This is especially bad because it had a lot of the identity papers I need to prove myself to the endless stream of beaurocrats making me jump through hoops. So, needless to say, I was not pleased.

However, I'm starting to wonder if God has chosen me to lose everything for a reason. Maybe a certain amount of items have to be lost everyday on earth, and God figures I'm kind of used to it and can handle it without freaking out. Or maybe I do it to myself to add drama and excitement to otherwise perfectly wonderful weeks... and what's more exciting then being money and i.d.-less in a foreign country? On this occasion though, luck was on my side (kind of) because I had just done the grocery shopping for the week, so at least I was covered as far as food. (And don't tell anyone, but they aren't especially harsh about making people buy bus tickets here.) So I actually had a marvelous dinner, seitan steak with red-wine mushroom sauce, fingerling potatoes and sugar snap peas.

My parents often wonder how I get over these terrible losses so quickly... and while, yes, I'm frustrated at the weeks of paperwork ahead, I figure: 1) these things have to happen to somebody, 2) I could be prone to a much worse habit, say, breaking bones or drug addiction, and 3) if I spent more than 5 minutes mourning my lost possessions, I wouldn't have time for anything else.

Song of the Day: Whiskeytown- Mirror, Mirror

7 comments:

The Voracious Vegan said...

Sorry about losing your wallet! I can't believe your losing streak of valuable things! But you definitely have a good attitude about it. And I can see why, if I could eat a dinner like that I think I'd be a pretty happy person too! Looks delicious!

Bianca said...

Aw, at least you have a sense of humor about it. When things like that happen to me, I just freak the hell out ... which certainly doesn't help. What better way to cope with such stress than a delicious seitan steak meal?

Good luck with getting everything back together!

Debra said...

I am sorry for your losses but great attitude!
the meal looks great!
Debra @ Vegan Family Style

Anonymous said...

3 ipods! How terrible! I have almost lost my passport so many times.

Your food looks super!

Amey said...

wow... 3 ipods! that's crazy. sorry to hear about your wallet... I'm very impressed with your zen like attitude. Good work!

:)

Leslie Richman said...

Agreeing with everyone...your great attitude will get you through anything! Although maybe you will get some easy breaks to make up for all the losses!

jessy said...

i love your outlook on everything, T! i'm sorry your wallet is gone, but you're right - not worth freaking out about - i mean, what good is that gonna do, ya know? your dinner looks scrumptious - and the fingerling potatoes = the cutest! huzzah for already having your grocery shopping done for a bit, and good stuff on the bus tickets, too. ;)