4/4/11

Magic Vegan Sandwich to the Rescue!

Not to constantly emphasize a really obvious point, but being poor SUCKS! Today I was so low on funds that I couldn't afford a U-Bahn ticket and spent my entire ride to and from work staring at the train doors, ready to jump off if anyone looked remotely like a ticket inspector. (Here in 'Schland-land they use the honor system to get you to buy tickets, but do random checks every so often, and if caught you face a massive fine.) Luckily, I made it to work without getting caught, but when I complained to my boss about how my late paycheck had brought me to petty crime, she totally didn't sympathize.

Whatever. Anyways, when you are very poor you always have a secret weapon to fall back on: the magic vegan sandwich! I have talked about the magic vegan sandwich before, as it has often been there for me in my times of need. My roomates and I discovered in college that just a few ingredients makes a sort of mixture between a grilled cheese and garlic bread for the vegan crowd. Its very easy to eat 4 or 5 washed down with some chocolate soymilk and be a very happy camper.

You needn't wait until being poor to make it, its just good, cheap comfort food that is open to endless variation (due to its ridiculous simplicity.)

Here's what you will need:
-Bread, especially soft, crusty bread
-Vegan Margarine (Earth balance is perfection)
-herbs and spices
-a tomato, even a deeply sad one

Here's the magic recipe:

1.) Heat a pan brushed with oil over medium-low heat. Take a goodly sized knob of margarine and mix in any of the following: salt, pepper, oregano, basil, thyme, paprika, white pepper, nooch, garlic powder, herbs de provence. Especially classic is ample garlic powder, nooch, oregano and pepper. You can mix these into the butter with a fork, and check if the taste is right (you don't want it too salty.)


2.) Spread said mixture thickly onto sliced crusty bread. Easy but crucial.








3. Place bread face down into hot pan and fry, checking occasionally to make sure not too hot.

4. When inside is crusty and brown, remove from heat and fill with tomatoes. You could also, of course, fry some onions in the leftover margerine in the pan, or slice some avocado thinly and add in, or use as the basis for a blt or similar. But just plain old tomatoes in the crunchy, herby bread is also a classic.




So now that I've explained to death the easiest sandwich in the world, I think I will go make a another one. And scrounge around the apartment for change so I don't have to risk my luck with ticket inspectors again tomorrow!

OOH, also, Urban Vegan has a list of 101 Vegan Picnic Ideas, a la Bittman as well!!! Check it out over at Miss UV herself...

Song of the Day: Chuck Berry - You Never Can Tell

6 comments:

algae said...

Hi! I just came across your blog randomly and was very excited to find a fellow vegan American Jew in Berlin! I'm trying to organize a vegan bbq (with more people than just my bf and me) and it would be so cool if you could come and I could meet you!

vegan.in.brighton said...

THat looks like a damn good sandwich.

Debra said...

My mouth is watering now!

Blessings, Debra
Raw Vegan Diet

C.C said...

Hey! Like your blog, keep the good work up! I'm in to the same healthy enlightened path as you ;) , check out fablefoods.blogspot.com!

adriennefriend said...

I LOVE the magic sandwich!! I will make it.

ดวงดี วันเฮง said...


สล็อตทดลองเล่น

เครื่องสล็อตรุ่นแรกถูกสร้างขึ้นโดย ชาลส์ เฟย์ วิศวกรชาวเยอรมัน โดยประกอบด้วยวงล้อ 3 วง และมีสัญลักษณ์ 5 แบบคือ รูปเกือกม้า , เพชร , โพธิ์ดำ , หัวใจ และ ระฆัง และถูกตั้งชื่อว่า “Liberty Bell” ตามชื่อสัญลักษณ์รูประฆังเสรีภาพ ที่เป็นสัญลักษณ์ของการประกาศอิสรภาพของสหรัฐอเมริกา