3/28/12

Passover and Easter Hits

Every year around the time I get to Passover I am overwhelmed by mixed feelings. On the one hand, gratitude and joy that I made it through another harsh German/ Belgian/ Serbian winter and can start to feel the sun on my face again. On the other hand, shock that its time to plan another Passover dinner after what feels like approximately 2 weeks. I guess I like this time of year so much that it always seems close.

At any rate, this year I'm in Belgrade (as I may have mentioned) so I'm probably more likely to attend a Seder than to host one. But that doesn't mean you shouldn't! Here are a few hits from Easters and Passover's past that you might find useful in menu planning for your special holiday.


Stuffed Mushrooms- A great appetizer or side, sprinkled with matzoh meal, nooch, or soy cheese.

Roasted Beets with Walnut Garlic Dressing-A toothy, rich dressing which brings simple roasted beets to life. Perfect side for either holiday.

 Brussels Sprouts Hash- Shredded or loosely chopped Brussels sprouts with apples, nuts, and a squeeze of lemon juice. Make a bunch in a giant wok for a tasty side.

Lemongrass Matzoh Ball Soup- I made this broth last year (minus the chicken, obvs) and it was a HUGE hit. Elegant, delicious, and easily made the day before. Plus the video makes it easy to follow. Add some mushrooms for body, and use the vegan matzoh ball recipe of your choice.

Wild Mushroom and Leek Farfel Kugel (sub silken tofu for eggs)

For some reason I can't get this photo to turn around... oh well
Lemon Asparagus Risotto- Perfect Easter main, using the fresh new asparagus of the season. For apps you could do Morrocan spiced carrot dip from V'Con and onion dip (caramlized onions + soy sour cream), then serve this risotto with a side salad topped with diced plums and caramelized fennel (below) and a big carrot cake for dessert. Boom! Done.



For Easter you could also make pierogies from Vegan Brunch! They certainly make any day special, and you can film them with tons of delicious stuffings and serve them with great salads and dips.


Eggplant Potato Moussaka from V'Con is also an excellent choice for either Passover or Easter. I served this last year to general delight.


Egg Free Macaroons are a nice ending to a Passover Seder, with some chocolate dipped strawberries and coffee.



And a fluffy coconut cake is a great ending to a nice Easter! I made Isa's version from Vegan With a Vengeance a few years ago and it was fabulous. (I know, I know, I rely heavily on PPK cookbooks for holidays, but my friends, the high holidays are no time for improvisation in the kitchen.)

For more ideas, mine Epicurious for veganizable gems and instructional videos, check out the Post Punk Kitchen for many priceless recipes, and see my menu page where I have a few examples of complete menus from Holidays past.

Wow, this whole discussion is making me insanely hungry. Think I'm going to go get a falafel wrap and orange carrot juice from the insanely great Schwarma restaurant down the street. Happy holidays!

Song of the Day: Wolf Gang- The King and all his men

3 comments:

Dan Brook said...

Here are some more resources for a more liberating veg Passover:

"Vegan Passover Dinner: http://www.vegparadise.com/cookingwith74.html"

Nancy Berkoff, Ed.D., R.D., Vegan Passover Recipes (2002)

"Roberta Kalechofsky, Ph.D., Vegetarian Pesach Cookbook: Feasts for Freedom (2002)"

"Debra Wasserman & Charles Stahler, No Cholesterol Passover Recipes (1986)"

"Vegetarian Fatfree Passover: http://euler.ecs.umass.edu/pass-veg/"

Food.com Vegan Passover: http://www.food.com/recipe-finder/vegan,passover/

"PETA Passover Recipes: http://www.peta.org/features/vegan-passover-recipes.aspx"

VRG Passover: http://www.vrg.org/recipes/passover.htm

The Vegetarian Mitzvah at www.brook.com/jveg

adriennefriend said...

I love it all. Were I a gazillionaire, I'd beg you to come cook all my meals. :-) Thanks for the dressing recipe (from the older post) for the beets. I have some beets that have been hanging out - languishing - in my fridge for some time now, and you've inspired me to do something with them.

Brianna Ladapo said...

Wow, what a beautiful spread!! I am always faced with a new challenge when the holidays roll along, since I'm pretty new to the vegan blog world. However, I've managed to find a few tasty ones, and will be taking a page out of your book! Thanks guys! You're cordially invited to check out my blog anytime at http://laveganexquise.blogspot.com
Cheers,
Brianna